Friday, June 25, 2004

Agreeing with a Western Conservative? Impossible!

The venerable Colby Cosh, National Post columnist and astute weblogger, comes forth with his election predictions, and an interesting remark about Layton's push for Proportional Representation.
...the NDP is now at 17% nationally in the latest Ipsos poll; SES's crack pipe, as yet untested for predictive accuracy in a federal election, has them at 20%. That would put them over 20 seats on the evidence of past three-sided elections--but, again, I think the increase in the party's national totals may be relatively inefficient this time, since a lot of it is going to come in places where they were close to zero degrees Kelvin in 2000. (Why do you think Layton is so fanatical about proportional representation? It's got nothing to do with "democracy"; it's because his party no longer happens to be particularly popular in any one region.)

Thought you might like that one, Dick.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rob Drimmie said...

Well of course. (cauton, embittered citizen alert)

And the reason the Liberals and Conservatives are so fiercly against it is because to ever get a majority government again they would actually have to follow through on their campaign promises to win a majority of the actual vote.

Whatever Layton's reasoning, First Past the Post systems only engender voter apathy. Aside from nudging up my candidates losing percentage by some miniscule fraction there's very little purpose in me going out to vote today. I'm not going to change what happens in my riding, I'm just going to waste 40 minutes of my evening.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Rob Drimmie said...

I should note: I'm still going to vote, it just doesn't mean anything that I am, except for a minor boost in funding.

4:30 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

I don't know if first-past-the-post translates to voter apathy: many non-voters (esp. 18-24) wouldn't know the difference between an appointed and elected Senate anyway. You know the kids today with the rap music and the fisting, I don't think they're debating Proportional Representation.

I posted this because brother Dick over there favours the appointed Senate, and is looking for ammunition for his upcoming screed on the topic.

Vote Trotsky!

6:10 PM  
Blogger Nick said...

er, s/Senate/House.

Braaaiinnss.

6:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My full prosecution brief against proportional representation can be found here and here. True, I am a wild-eyed right-wing drivelist, but I don't know that there are really any party lines on this issue, so those who are interested in PR (and we may all be forced to develop an interest in it fairly soon) should check those links out... -Colby Cosh

1:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home